Monday, March 1, 2010

Where does the time go?

Wow! I can't believe how long it has been since I posted anything here. So much has changed, yet so much is the same. There is no excuse really, just plain busy. Well, I guess Facebook has also detracted a bit from keeping this up. So let's pretend that it hasn't been a year and a half and see what happens.

We have just finished up another cookie season in Girl Scouts. I am very proud of Nicole. She made her goal to sell 1200 boxes of cookies. She actually ended up selling 1224. That's up a bit from her total of 1121 last year. She was also a Cookie Captain this year. In this program, she spent an additional 25 hours promoting and mentoring younger troops during the cookie sale. So what does all this effort get her? Well, to start with, she has earned over $300 in cookie dough which she will be using to pay for her week of summer resident camp. She enjoyed Camp Texlake so much last year, she begged to go back again this year. Registration is already in and we just received her confirmation packet. She will be attending Glamazons June 14-18. This is the week right after our local day camp.

Speaking of day camp, I have taken on the role of co-director for Camp Howdy day camp this year. Last year, I was an assistant co-director or DIT (director in training) as we liked to call ourselves. So far, we have picked the theme, fitness and nutrition, and the name ~ Camp Howdy All-Stars. It's a great opportunity to teach the girls about life-long health and wellness.

We two weeks into Ryan's soccer season. He is playing for the same coach as last year. They are called the Strikers this year. What a great group of boys! They have come a long way since they started playing together and it shows in their game. They are passing well and their defense is incredible. They are 2-0 so far and have not given up a single goal.

With spring upon us, our adult sports have also started. I am playing softball for a couple of teams and acting as a sub whenever time allows. The past couple of weeks have been almost too cold for softball, but it will warm up soon enough. We also have two weeks of soccer under our belts. Both Terry and I play for Macropods. We are 1-1. I am also playing goalie for the soccer moms. We don't win very often, but we never give up either.

I guess one of the biggest changes since the last time I posted is my physical condition. I have been going to boot camp with Innovative Fitness for almost a year now. It's been great. All together I have lost 35-40 pounds (depends on the day) and am in the best shape of my life. I have taken up running for fun and semi-competitively. On the competitive side, I mostly run local 5Ks for charities. However, on Valentine's day I ran my first 1/2 marathon in Austin. It was the biggest run that I have ever participated in. There were over 8,000 runners in the 1/2 and over 12,000 combined running in the 1/2 and full marathon. It was incredible to say the least. I finished the 13.1 miles in 1 hour and 47 minutes which placed me 32 out of 739 in my division (Female; 35-39). Not bad for my first time around. I don't know if I am really interested in improving that time or not. The next big adventure will be to run a full marathon, but that is going to take a bit more training. Maybe next year.

I think for now, I will stick with the fun stuff and leave things like work updates for another time and maybe another place. I really am going to try to do better at this. If nothing else, it will help me remember all the fun stuff we do.

1 comment:

Mrs. H. said...

I'm glad I noticed you had updated when I was on Christine's site! You need to post some before and after pics of your transformation girl! And 32nd out of 739...totally amazing! :-)

The Lovingshimer Family

The Lovingshimer Family
Christmas 2007